I’m again looking forward to the coming month of movie releases in the UK. Are there any films you’re excited about in the coming month where you live? By all means, let me know! What have I missed? (Maybe it’s not coming out in August in the UK, but I’d still be keen to know about it.) PS it seems like the listings were wrong last month about Romeo & Juliet sadly, so shall have to wait a bit longer for it…
I’m Excited About…
- RED 2 (2 August). Okay, look, I enjoyed RED quite a bit, so I’m looking forward to the sequel. I’m sure it’ll be silly and sort of forgettable, but hey. I am easy.
I’m Not Sure About…
- Only God Forgives (2 August). To say this has had mixed reviews would be diplomatic. It has had both excoriating reviews questioning its moral integrity and very right to exist, and it’s had rave reviews. So, I really really don’t know. I didn’t see Drive so I’ve no idea what to expect. I’ll just have to go see it.
- Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (7 August). I never saw Steve Coogan’s original comedy, so I have no background in this character aside from finding him, like Mr Bean, vaguely annoying when he shows up in the occasional pop culture reference (no doubt that’s the point). But the film is supposed to be decent, and I suppose I might wander along.
- Kick-Ass 2 (14 August). I had mixed feelings about the first, at once enjoying it and finding it a little weirdly exploitative. So, er, I dunno. Chloe Moretz is always good, though.
- 2 Guns (16 August). I have no idea at all about this. I have no idea if it’s supposed to be any good at all, but… maybe… it could be alright? It has Denzel and Wahlberg, it has an Icelandic director.
- Lovelace (23 August). And another one I have no idea about, except it stars the lovely Amanda Seyfried.
- The Way, Way Back (28 August). I am hopeful that this film, which is co-directed by one of the stars of Community might be okay. On the other hand, I always shudder at the thought of a coming-of-age story.
- Pain & Gain (30 August). Word is that this might be Michael Bay’s first in-any-way-good film. I will be the judge of that, if I can be bothered.
I’m Not So Excited About…
- Grown Ups 2 (9 August). The ‘joke’ as best I can tell is that they’re not really grown up, despite having adult responsibilities. Given that this features both Adam Sandler and Kevin James, two of my least favourite comedians, it’s unlikely I’ll see it. Also, I saw the trailer, and frankly, that was more than enough.
- The Lone Ranger (9 August). Is it just me, or did the trailer look a bit racist? I mean, Johnny Depp as a native American was just ridiculous. I sort of enjoyed the Pirates franchise, but I’ll be watching Dead Man instead, as respect for some of Depp’s past, better, work that deals with native Americans.